Translate

Tuesday, 30 April 2013

There's an Endless Earworm Tape Loop Playing in My Head!

I've heard lots of ladies over the years talk about hot flashes, the topic of the blog post last time around.  However, along with my hot flashes, I also experience something that I've never heard anyone mention, specifically.  So maybe it's just me, but I'm going to ask anyway...

Does anyone else get what I call 'busy brain' when they are having their hot flashes?  For me, like with the hot flashes themselves, this isn't something I notice too much during the day.  My brain is pretty busy as a rule; I'm always thinking about something - a new story plot, an easier way to do something, a way to avoid doing something altogether - you get the drift!

Again though, it is at night that this phenomenon makes its presence really felt.  Every time I wake up with a hot flash, my brain immediately engages and heads off on a charge through every random thought I've ever had.  Thinking about something useful or productive (even at two or three in the morning) would be ... well, useful or productive!  No, I'm not getting anything like that; just weird, bizarro stuff like 'why are people asking Google why cats purr?'*

Moreover, all these thoughts are accompanied by a sound-track.  An endless loop of some earworm song can play in my head for days!  It drives me nuts because, this too, seems to be random.  As an example, the current song is Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO!  I don't even know when the last time was that I heard this song anywhere, and while it's a great dance song at a party, at three o'clock this morning I was less than thrilled that it was keeping me awake and I most certainly didn't feel like dancing!

I bought an aromatherapy oil blend for menopause that has clary sage and lime in it, to try and help.  It does nothing for my hot flashes, but does seem to calm down my mind and allow me to get back to sleep.  If you're having the same kind of issue, I would say 'give it a go'.  Don't however use it after/with drinking alcohol, unless you want a wicked trip!  I didn't know this at first, and initially the cure seemed to be worse than the problem! 

Apparently it's also a good idea to check out the possible side-effects before taking anything new!  And apparently I'm supposed to be old enough to know better, by now.  What the hell ... I'm sleep-deprived (and quite possibly insane)!  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers,

Donna

* perhaps you're also wondering why - why I would be thinking about this, particularly?  In searching for something completely unrelated, I started to enter a search phrase with the word 'why'.  This was the second to top search on Google, beaten out by 'why is the sky blue?' and followed by 'why am I so tired?' (are you menopausal, by chance?) and 'why did the pope resign?'  These other questions have yet to make it into my nocturnal mind-wanderings.  Now you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...