Translate

Tuesday, 23 February 2016

A Love Letter to my Dog

Magic-B-FB-T

Yesterday, Facebook Memories brought up this photo of our beautiful dog Magic, posted when she passed away six years ago.

We had made the difficult decision to euthanize her, the most horrible, heart-breaking but ultimately respectful and compassionate one, under the circumstances. When we left the vet’s office, I went home and wrote this letter to her spirit:

Thank you for the magic, Magic, for twelve wonderful years. Thank you for all the love and licks and wet-nose nudges that said ‘Here I am, pet me!’ Thanks for all the ‘wroo, wroo, wroo’s that told the story of your day, of some misdemeanor, real or perceived, of Daddy’s (not enough snacks, not enough pets!). Thank you for the companionship of many morning walks, not to mention all the times that Dad was away. You couldn’t hear, but you listened. And oh, how I talked! But you never judged, you always just loved.

Thank you for all the laughter. The goofy inside-out ears, crazy beach runs or bounding through the snow. The antics you got up to with Jake (our cat) when he was still here. Right up until the end there was laughter born of love and affection.

There were the difficult days too, many of them recent as you aged and diminished. I am so proud that we kept caring and loving you (though there could have been no other way, for us). But, you always had a mind of your own, and you expressed yourself quite clearly, especially when ticked off – shredded foam underlay, shredded boxes and garbage bags, chewed-up Tupperware – all spread out over the floor to full effect!

Your favourite thing – food – caused its share of naughtiness too. Stolen food from more than one dinner plate was one thing. Eating a whole box of chocolate bars, swiped from the kitchen counter, complete with wrappers and a large part of the actual box was entirely another. It is a wonder you survived for us to tell the tale on that one!

You had your own unique personality, feelings and flaws and we respected that. You never judged us for our foibles, treating us with the same respect. You take it all as it comes with your family, with those you love.

In the end, I have to say I was honoured and privileged to share my life with such a special being. You had much to teach us about living a better life, the benefits of loving and being happy to see everyone you met. You were a special girl, with much ‘magic’.

I love you, Girlie and always will. Rest in peace, Sweetheart and chase bunnies forever.

And it’s true, I still love her and miss her, all these years later. We will have another dog one day, and I will fall all over again. For now though, my lovely memories will suffice – permanent paw prints on my soul.


12 comments:

  1. Dogs wiggle their furry butts right into our hearts, don't they? Hugs for you. Magic was a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do! It hurts when they go, but the joy and companionship is worth it, and we wouldn't have it any other way!

      Delete
  2. I loved your letter and I have written several of them. We rescue dogs and this past year we lost 5. Two of them were with us for 18 years. You never forget them -- you always love them -- even though we have more now - they are still our babies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I'm so sorry for you loss, but it is so wonderful what you do. I know there will be other dogs for us, and I will love them all the same, but differently too!

      Delete
  3. This resonated with me since we lost our precious dog in early December. Although we recently rescued two puppies and have a full house now, the missing and mourning our departed dog is still strong. Hugs to you. Magic sounds like an amazing canine friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene, I have followed as you wrote of the loss of your dog, as well as the new arrivals. The pictures and videos always make me smile. It is amazing how our hearts can break and be re-filled all at the same time.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure your dog felt all of that love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lois. I hope so, given the terrible decision we had to make for her.

      Delete
  5. Lovely. And I so get it. We still talk about our Little He all the time, with love so much missing him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I remember you writing about Little He, so I know you get it. They steal pieces of our hearts when they leave us, that's for sure.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful post. I'm sorry for your loss. I know there must be days (despite six years passing) when it still hurts big. I'm 10 years on and still miss my Ellie (the most gorgeous German shepherd in the history of shepherds). We have another dog, a little King Charles Spaniel, and she's loved, very much so, but there will never be another Ellie. She was my special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Kimmie. Each pet is its own personality, so we never love another quite the same way. I will always miss Magic, as you miss Ellie. But you have a new love now, and I'm sure I will one day, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...