Translate

Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Welcome 2017!

fireworks B-FB-T
 
I am not going to be one of the people slagging off 2016.

There is no doubt that it left us with a huge hangover of global anxiety. The world feels unstable, in a way I don’t remember before. Added to that, people of a certain age (like me), lost some of our contemporary influencers last year - unexpectedly, in more than one instance. These were the ones who taught us how to be in the world, as we struggled, inevitably, to find our way as a new generation. Their loss was jarring, and we mourned in a way we perhaps haven’t until now.

On a personal level however, I think 2016 was one of the best years I have had in a long time. The main reason, a decision to change my life in an extreme and fundamental way. In doing so, I retrieved my independence and confidence in myself. I have changed – back into (what I believe is) a better version of myself.

I have also spent my time away from home, trying to change ‘forward’ – to be more self-aware, to be grateful for the opportunities I have and to take advantage of them when I can. I confess, I haven’t always succeeded (a bit more about that next week!). The fact that I tried, and continue to do so is what is most important to me now, though.

That is the reason why there are no New Year’s Resolutions, no Word of the Year for me in 2017. Not that I have anything against either of these things. It’s that, for me, they have never worked in the past, at least not in any long-term way.

Now 2016 is over and done. I can already see the potential that 2017 has to offer, on both a personal and global scale. (Though I have learned in the last few years that the things you can’t see coming are the ones that have the most impact!). So join me, won’t you, in keeping on, keeping on – hopefully to bigger and better things.

Happy New Year!









4 comments:

  1. Happy New year! Looking froward to reading more about your positive changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haralee! Happy New Year to you too! There are more changes to come - looking forward to writing about them

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Wishing you a great 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari! Happy New Year to you too! All the best!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...